Monday, July 27, 2009

Sewing gifts

On Saturday we went for a lovely drive through the countryside and ended up in quaint Berry. This is an historic town a couple of hours south of Sydney and a favourite place for weekend shopping. This is the middle of winter here and can you tell what lovely weather we've been having? There's one patchwork shop and this is what I came out with . The bird fabric is starlings by Alexander Henry. There's also a fabulous toy shop and the best needlework shop.
This is what I've been up to, the strawberries are very quick and easy to make from the free pattern on the Moda Bakeshop blog.
I filled these with silica sand, I didn't have any turnovers so used 5 3/4" squares and cut them once on the diagonal and that makes two. They'll make nice little gifts for friends.
I made the little gift bags from another pattern at the Bakeshop as well.
I have an idea to put some small gifts in these bags for my granddaughters. I changed the pattern in a couple of places by trimming down the top seam and top stitching the pleat in place. I also sewed fabric sleeves for the bottom insert instead of taping fabric to card. I used template plastic instead.
I'm not good at shopping, I'm a failure really, it gives me a headache but the exception is when I shop for birthday gifts for the little ones.
Only a grandmother would fork out and buy something like this. It's probably what I would have loved as a little girl, all sparkly and twirly and pretty.

26 comments:

onlymehere said...

Love the gift for the granddaughter and what you've been sewing. I printed off those patterns but haven't made any yet. You've done a great job. Cindy

Betsy said...

Janet you did so good with those strawberries and gift bags. The bags looked a bit hard for me. What did you think? I would love to make one for my grandaughter too.

Lurline said...

I agree, the Southern Highlands are just gorgeous - thanks for the links - love that little bag!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Deb said...

A grandmother is allowed to buy things like that Janet. It is the joy of having grandchildren I would imagine. I love the strawberries and the bags you made, I have also got those on my to-do list.
hugs Deb

Liz said...

Love that birdie fabric Janet and the little fairy skirt, one happy granddaughter I should say??
Lizzie
XX

Janet said...

It sounds like you had a good outing. Your strawberries are very fun. I bet the granddaughters will love the baskets.

Vickie E said...

YOur MBS projects are wonderful!!

Kim Walus said...

What fun to see the gift bags made up out of that beautiful fabric. I'm sure your granddaughters will love them. The love the strawberries too!

Terrie Sandelin said...

Those gift bags are incredibly cute. I love the fabrics you chose.

Andi said...

Soooooo much lovely sewing.
Well done!!
Andi :-)

Kaaren said...

So many treasures, Janet. I just love those strawberries and the gift bags are precious.

And how could any little girl not love the ballerina fairy tutu?

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love your new blog banner. CUTE strawberries and bags. I love your color choices. Every little girl certainly must have a pink tutu!

Crispy said...

You make the cutest stuff Janet, love the strawberries and bags. That little twirly skirt is wonderful!! I'm going to have to look for stuff like that for my granddaughter :0)

Crispy

Lori said...

You've been very busy Janet. I really love the bags and I'm sure your granddaughter will be a princess in that adorable tutu.

Mary said...

I love that skirt! Your granddaughter should be really pleased with it.

I saw the strawberries over on bake shop - now I know I'll have to give them a go. I knew I needed red with polka dots for something. The bags are darling! For silica sand, do you get the kind for drying flowers or something else? Really nice job all around.

Martha said...

My daughter would have killed for that skirt when she was little -- and those bags....well, they are just adorable -- the fabrics you selected are just perfect and I love the little pleat. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of who I can make these for.

allsewnup said...

Oh my! Looks like you hit the lottery with your fabric choices, they're beautiful [love,love,love the starlings]! The pincushions are fun aren't they and the gift bags are adorable. A nice bevy of projects.

Carolyn*

Stina Blomgren said...

I saw the srawberries and thought I would give it ago.. but didnt find the scissor.. so there didint be ant strawberries.. and the bags I have just looked at.. and now I can look at your too...lol... :o)))

Darlene said...

So much cuteness to see! :-)

antique quilter said...

just too cute that tutu!
she is going to have so much fun with it
the little tote bags for the girls are great too, I can't wait to hear how they loved them and carried all their treasures in them!
oh the strawberries are adorable!
yes perfect gifts I agree.
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that pattern JUST posted?! Your quick...here I thought Darlene was Ms. SPeedy! You rock!!

Carrie P. said...

Very cute stuff.

Unknown said...

Love your little Bags..the fabrics look Beautiful made up...WOW.!! you will be getting Nanna Brownie Points with that Gorgeous little Skirt...wish I was a Nanna.!!
One Day.
cheers

Annie said...

That birdy fabric is my favourite. I love your little bags.

Unknown said...

I love your blog and everything you did.

Unknown said...

I love the little bags...
That birdy fabric is my favourite...


--
Michell
Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved