Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Curved piecing part 2

Yaaa-hoo! Hot off the design wall. Licorice Allsorts. The pattern is the pickle dish in Kaffe Fassett's
As you can see I went for more of a scrappier look and bordered it with the background fabric which is Guinea Flower in mauve. I like the way the arcs float.

I did say I would show you how I did the curved piecing so lets start.
First, lay out the pieces. I use a felt covered board to transfer the pieces off the design wall so that I don't get them mixed up. I also like to put a pin in the arc that's the uppermost one so I don't mix them up.

Step 1
In the middle of the pieces that have curved edges, I make a very small, shallow clip within the seam allowance only.

Step 2
Every arc has a backgound pieced to the outer edge so I''ll sew them first. Pinning is the key to making sure it's going to sew together nicely.
Match the outer edges and center notches and pin. Then I put a pin in next to the middle pin  and another next to the outer pins and finally a couple inbetween. Doing it this way, it seems to fit together without any problems.


Step 3
At this point, I sew the seam and I recommend sewing with the foot down and needle down if you have that option. If I  have to lift the foot to adjust anything, the knee lift is great too. I also always sew with the concave piece on top, (the one that has an edge that looks like the mouth of a cave)

You can see with a large gentle curve, it's not looking too hard. I always use the tips of my scissors to help me with feeding through and keep the seam in front of the foot flat. It's my extra finger. You can use a stiletto or seam ripper the same way but I always have my scissors right there. . It's also really helpful to flip seams or for easing the top layer if you need to. If you've done dressmaking or made soft toys, it's really not that much different.

Step 4
It's time to pin and sew the ellipse shape to the arc. That's the small piece in the middle of the block.
The pinning is exactly the same. Make sure the ends are aligned and the edges of both pieces are absolutely together. Pin the ends, then the middle matching the clips. Then pin the same way as in the previous step.

It should fit together perfectly but if there is a discrepancy, you can hold the piece as I've shown in the picture below and give a little gentle stretch to both pieces. Be careful not to pull too hard or those stitches may pop open.

View from the other side. When you put it under the foot to sew, try to keep this side flat aginst the bed of the machine. You don't want to sew in any tucks.


Step 5
Go ahead and sew it the same way as the larger curved piece. You may have to go slower and keep the point of the scissors in front of the foot. Only be concerned about the area around the foot, not the parts over far to the left, they won't interfere with anything. 

Once that piece is sewn on, open up the seam on the right side and press, not iron. You don't want to stretch the block out of shape. Once the squares are sewn on, then it's time to sew the last curved seam.

Step 6
Pin the same way, matching seams and go ahead and sew the seam.

I took this photo to demonstrate how the piece on top is blousing up and creating what looks like a bulge. It's like a petticoat, it has flounce. To correct that, all you need do is pick up that piece on top and move it towards the back, it will magically flatten out as you distribute the bulk. When sewing curves, it's important to ensure that if you lift the foot to do any adjusting, the needle doesn't pull on the fabric or when you commence sewing again, your stitches will drift and create peaks on the right side.

Voila

I pressed the seams open when joining blocks to distribute the bulk. I used a stitch length of 2 when doing all the sewing. I also flipped the odd seam on the back to get seams butting opposite to each other when sewing the blocks together.

Whew, that  was a lot of photos but since I'm a very visual learner myself, I think it may help to explain things. If you've never had a go at curved piecing,  my hope is  that  this may encourage you. The larger gentle curves are easy but it does get more difficult as the curves get tighter and smaller so I don't attempt things like a 2" drunkards path. I do have my limits.

53 comments:

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Oh Wow Janet, what a quilt, and what a post, and what a lot of work you have done here for us...thank you so much, I really appreciate your step by step pics, they are soooo helpful!! I have to make one of these now I have seen how to do it, and have your wonderful tutorial to come back to xo

Marit said...

Your quilt top is wonderful! The tutorial is very instructive, I might build up some courage and try this pattern - one day. Love how you put your colors together, and how you made it more "scrappy".
; )

Unknown said...

Comliments is very nice quilt and many difficult....
Hugs
DENI

Deb said...

great tutorial!! wonderful fantastic, delicious quilt!! thanks for the extra's love it..
Love our header that looks like an invite!!

LeKaQuilt said...

Thank you Janet :o) I'll try this, and hope that it get nice as your's.....lol.. I love your new quilt top....

antique quilter said...

wow makes me want to make this quilt right now, it looks so easy!
Yes I am a visual learner too so all these wonderful pictures are very helpful.
Thanks to the photographer :)
oh come on we can do 2" drunkards path, I love little blocks!
Kathie

Miriam said...

I love Licorice Allsorts!!!

Thank you for all the wonderful instructions.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Great tips for beginners as well as advanced sewers. I love the photos as I am a very visual learner too.

Quilts on Bastings said...

Your quilt top is just divine! Thanks for the great tutorial - I am very tempted.

*karendianne. said...

I can't just view this, read it, seriously think about it and contemplate without telling you I was here and what I was doing! :) This is one way to NOT be bored quilting.

Steffi´s Candy Quilts said...

WOOOW! This is really a beauty! Very gorgeous quilt top, I love it!

Natalie Carlton said...

Very Nice!! I love K.Fassett's fabric. I cant wait to see this one quilted. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Your quilt turned out just GORGEOUS!! I love it to pieces. I do curved piecing the same way and love it. In fact, I was working on some curves yesterday. I can't wait to see how you will quilt this one. LOVE it, oh wait, said that already!

Anonymous said...

Amazing, stunning absolutely beautiful are just a few words to describe the quilt that sure catches my eye!

alobsiger said...

GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS! I'm in LOVE with your quilt, Janet! Thanks also for taking the time to show us how it's done!

wishes, true and kind said...

Janet, It's just beautiful! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Sheri Howard said...

Yes, that is very beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

thanks for the tips and great photos. I tried a pickle dish last year and about pulled out my hair. Maybe I'll give it another go. I think the pattern had a problem.
thanks!
barb

Jan said...

It's hard to concentrate on your tutorial because that gorgeous photo at the top of the post keeps drawing my attention!!

Melanie said...

Oh my I am so jealous of your quilt! I am going to have to make one for myself soon!
I just received my order from America of 5 yards of two tone stripe to make Cutting Corners (page 20 of Quilt Romance) so I might have to do that one first.. So many quilts, so little time!

Meredith said...

Wow! I have a quilt top sitting where I have an intersection of many points. IF you are looking for any more tutorial ideas. I sure could use the help. LOL!!

Terrie Sandelin said...

Gorgeous quilt! and the tutorial is really excellent -- thank you!

Janet said...

Your scrappy version is great - I like how the blocks float too. How do you plan to quilt it?

Darlene said...

Wow, wow and WOW! It's beautiful, Janet.

Fabulous tutorials!

Mary said...

Having learned to sew on garments, the curves never bothered me but I'm so glad to see the way you pieced the arcs! I don't know why I never thought of paper. You did a really nice job on this and your pictures are really helpful. And I love the name of the quilt!!!

Sharon said...

What a great visual tutorial. I have admired that pattern since I saw this book in Sept, I just ordered it yesterday. Thanks for the tips.

M and M plus 3 said...

What a great tutorial. I'm a visual person so I really appreciate you posting this. Maybe now I won't be so intimidated.

Janet said...

Thank-you Janet. Your tutorial is excellent and may just give me the needed courage to attempt this quilt. BTW I made your Rustic Pie receipe for my 4 boys + 1 finicky husband and the LOVED them. Thanks again.

Janet, Canada

Nedra said...

That is still one of my all time favortite quilts ever.

Carrie P. said...

I just love this quilt. Thanks for the tutorial and the tips about pinning the top blocks on your design wall. Very helpful. I think I can do curves.

rainey said...

Interesting how Pickle Dish squares out those circles. ...or rounds off those squares. ;>

Lovely work as always!

SĆølvis blog said...

Thanks a lot for a great lesson in how to do curved piecing.

Bloom said...

Thanks so much Janet for all your time spent to share such a great tutorial with us! It is fantastic ... scary (!!) ,,, but fantastic. You are one amazing piecer. This tutorial will go into my list to keep & refer back to time and time again. Thank you!

Julia said...

Wow Janet, it's just gorgeous...great tut.
I can see a lot of girls wanting to do this quilt now...I'm very tempted too!
Julia ♥

Janine said...

I just love the quilt beautiful job and tutorial

Deb said...

Janet the quilt is stunning - well done. It must make you feel so happy looking at it. And thank you so much for the tutorial - you really do a great job with these. Who takes the photos when we can see both of your hands? Don't tell me that gem of a husband you have! I'll be printing these and putting them with my Kaffe book so that they are ready to go.

Amelia said...

Great tut! Looks greats! Can't wait to see it quilted.

Martha said...

This is probably the best tutorial I've ever seen -- great instructions and tips, and the photos are wonderful. Working with curves is such fun -- both by hand and machine. Thanks for going to so much trouble, but you must feel gratified that you have encouraged many quilters to give curved piecing a try.

Doris said...

Great quilt, and a very thorough tutorial...love those colors in that quilt.

Kim Brackett said...

I seriously cannot get enough of this quilt! It's fabulous!

Dixie Howard said...

Love your tutorial, Janet. If I ever get brave enough to attempt this block, I will definitely refer back to it. This isn't the type of block that one would attempt while drinking a glass of wine... I heard that helps machine quilting though!

Kaaren said...

I held my breath the whole time you were sewing this, Janet. I'm compeletly out of breath.

Excellent, excellent tutorial! And a gorgeous quilt at that. Thank you so much.

Lurline said...

Nicely explained, Janet! I can't wait to get my fabrics!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Janet! It's just gorgeous! Thanks for all the instructions and taking the time to take all the pictures. Wow!

Eileen said...

Really great tutorial Janet, and your quilt top is breathtaking as I knew it would be.
I'm about ready to tackle a double wedding ring.. so this curved piecing is in the front of my mind right now. I've sewn hundreds and hundreds of doll dresses with tiny sleeves, so I know about sewing curves. I just hope I can do it nicely on a very important quilt. And that I don't go crazy by the end of it. :-)

Ginger Patches said...

Oh your top is just gorgeous!! What a great tutorial, I am bookmarking it so I can come back when I finally to get to my curved piecing project!!!

julieQ said...

Thank you for the great tutorial...I have done a drunkard's path, and just needed three pins, it was so small. I love your quilt!

Nanette Merrill said...

Did I call you Karen in my last comment? I have 2 blogs up. Yours and Karens. Sorry. I knew I had screwed up when I saw the pickle quilt. I am so incredibly glad for this tutorial. You know I want to make this quilt and that is why i bought the book. I hate foundation piecing and want to do it the Janet way. So I'm so so glad to see this. I will book mark it for when I make this next year. I have this quilt penciled in for March. I have to pace myself with all my projects but this is a must do for me. I love yours. Love everything about it. Thanks Janet.

Jantine said...

Wow, I really love the quilt , it is stunning. But your tutorial is even better! These photo's explain a lot! I think I will go and give it a try some day. Have to study first!

Peg said...

Thank you so much for your piece by piece tutorial. I'm new to quilting and so far have only used blockes with straight edges BUT, seeing your fantastic photos and your commentary I am hoping to try this just to see if I can do it :o)

You've certainly got a knack for teaching.

Peg xx

Think Outside the Box said...

I have admired Kaffe Fassett from the time I began to quilt (Only just over a year ago.) I put off making this quilt as I thought it was too difficult for me. If you can get a hold of Material Obsession 2 there is a version of this quilt that uses paper piecing for the "eyelashes" units and then machine applique for the eye centres and for sewing the eye units to the background without having to piece any curves. I'm going to try this version but with the KF fabrics.

Linda said...

Im working on this quilt now. I got so frustrated trying to get the little melon piece to fit in. After making six blocks I decided to switch to the Material Obsession method of appliqueing it on. Used the invisible applique method. Now Im anxious to get it finished!

Kim's Blog said...

Oh my goodness! This blog has been very useful to me as I have begun sewing my first pickle dish quilt. I made one patch before I read your blog and was disappointed with how it looked. You really helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. Patch number two was much better! Thank you for your clear instructions and wonderful photos.